SPELLO
agriturismo il bastione - Spello

GENERAL INFORMATION:

- It's located on the slopes of Mount Subasio;
- Dominates the south Umbrian valley;
- Is set to 314 m. above sea level;
- Has about 8,000 inhabitants;

HISTORY ABOUT SPELLO:


- Hispellum is the name given by the Romans
- Becomes common in the first century B.C.
- Get the right colony with the second triumvirate, Colobnia Julia Hispellum
- In 41 B.C. Octavian, after the war in Perugia, devastates for remaining faithful to Antonio
- In imperial Augustus grants him the baths of Clitunno, near Spoleto and Civitella d'Arno
- Augusto builded the walls of the City
- Fourth century A.D. Constantine attributed to Spello the name of Flavia Constans
- Collapse of the Western Empire; the City is damaged by the invasion of the Goths
- It is included in the Lombard Duchy of Spoleto until the twelfth century
- Is then subjected to the Church
- Became a free municipality in the thirteenth century
- At first sided with the Emperor
- Rebels against Frederick II, which makes it occupy and destroy
- At the end of the thirteenth Baglioni of Perugia establish their rule over the City
- Back in 1583 to the State of the Church with Pope Gregory III
- Is enriched with Renaissance masterpieces
- In 1799, under the Napoleonic empire, goes to the diocese of Foligno
- City is proclaimed in 1833 by Pope Leo XII

MONUMENTS OF SPELLO:

- CHURCH OF SAINT MARY MAJOR - CATHEDRAL  WITH THE CHAPEL PAINTED BY PINTURICCHIO
- CHURCH OF SANT 'ANDREA
- CHURCH OF SAN LORENZO
- CHURCH OF SANTA MARIA VALLEY OF GLORY
- CHURCH OF SAN MARTINO
- CHURCH OF SAN CLAUDIO /WITH INSIDE: frescoes by painters of the Umbrian school of the fourteenth century.
- EX ABBEY OF SANTO PIETRO - out of town - 1205.
- CHURCH OF SAINT JEROME - out of town with frescoes of the school of Pinturicchio.
- VILLA FIDELIA
- PALACE OF BAGLIONI
-TOWN HALL
- PINACOTECA
-THE WALLS AND THE ANCIENT ARC AND ENTRANCE
- THE PROPERZIO TOWERS
-
ARCHAEOLOGICAL AREA



COLLEPINO:
(in the Natural park of Subasio mountain) :

- It's a small castle of the Middle Ages on the eastern slopes of Mount Subasio 600 meters above sea level
- Once called "lupine hill" or "hill of the wolf" or "collepieno",
- Founded by shepherds and woodcutters in the area
- Follows the historical events of the town of Spello